Friday, August 21, 2009

New beginnings


I am not a writer.  I am not a photographer, nor am I a chef.  I am a cook, an entertainer, I enjoy making people think about food and what they are eating.  The world does not need another blog,  Twitter account or Facebook page, so I am not going to write on and on about my dinners, desserts.  This is to document an adventure since the ending to this is nowhere in sight.  I have no idea where this is going to take me; all I know is that it will involve food.
I recently moved back to Ottawa from Montreal, a city I loved so much for a job in healthcare, I have subsequently left that successful job in health research to pursue my passion and take a job that pays me a third of what I was making.  No condo in Westboro just yet...
I decided against medical school even though I knew I was fully capable of it and would make a great physician but I didn’t love it, my heart and soul were not in it.  Someone told me not too long ago “Do what you love Larissa and 1. You will never work a day in your life, 2. The world will love you for it”.  Although I had heard that before many times, it had never been so crystal clear, so I thank you.  What a revelation, do what you love...
So this is what I am doing, I am giving what I love an honest shot, I have no idea where it will take me but I am excited for the journey.  The purpose of this blog will be to write about the ups and downs of following my passion.   I will share some recipes and food stuff but it will not be literary in any way, trust me.  I write scientific papers, that is all I know how to write.  I am blunt, to the point and sarcastic.
My past week has involved meetings with Ottawa food people, which I am surprised to say, Ottawa has a great dining scene going on with great food, which is local, organic and well prepared.  Not bad.  I am finding out what is needed, what there is too much and how I can make some sort of difference. 
My background in nutrition will be my foundation, what I will build this around.  However, I am all about going all out, I love, wine, cheese and olive oil too much and do not eliminate anything from the diet.
I leave on Sunday for Europe for 12 days with Jael, one of my best girlfriends and hope to come back full of inspiration for next steps.   I will be enlisting the help of many close friends who have encouraged me from day one to do this so I will keep you posted.
Create it, make it, eat it, have a good glass of wine and life is good, the end.
Larry
xox

5 comments:

  1. Hey Larissa,
    I went to french culinary camp this summer and we made baguette,quiche,piperade and creme brulee. It was a really fun camp, now I can help you cook some french dishes. It will be fun if I can.

    Darka xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks for changing the comments, Lariss. Your blog looks great, can't wait to read more! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! (I especially love that you signed off as Larry) Way to be, way to cook, and way to be my greatest foodie friend. Many jaws were dropped around the ISHR lunch table this week when I explained that I was exploring Italy with above-mentioned greatest foodie friend. Can't wait (for Italy and further blogging) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´ll be keeping up with this as best I can while I´m away, Larissa! I´m excited to hear about what happens, because I might not be too far behind!

    ReplyDelete