Saturday, August 22, 2009

First Day back in a kitchen

Yesterday I spent the afternoon in the kitchen of an upscale caterer/take home food shop. All I can say is it was HOT. I mean, I was dripping hot. I spent the afternoon slicing and dicing, 30 peppers, 2 kg of mushrooms, 20 onions, then grilling all those vegetables, making mass quantities of salad dressing. 3 pm rolls around and they pull out beers to celebrate a birthday....hmm, I could get used to this and I don't even like beer. The whole time I was thinking " What am I doing? What have I traded in my cushy, air conditioned life for?". But this is what I want, I want to live and breathe food and learn how this whole industry works. We'll see if I stay there or switch around, only time will tell.

The day finished off with a fabulous dinner at the Gastropub: tuna sashimi and then halibut...I love that place way too much, nowhere in Ottawa even comes close.

On another note, please excuse the temporary lack of pictures. 1) I am not super computer savvy so I have yet to figure out how to put a picture exactly where I want it. 2) Not a huge picture taker, I refuse to take pictures of the food in a restaurant. I will take pictures if it's a birthday, special event..but of the people, not just of the food. So I guess this makes this blog kind of boring but just be patient please.

2 comments:

  1. Can you tell us where you were? Thyme and Again by any chance?

    By the way, have you heard the news about the possible redevelopment of an old warehouse near Preston St. as a year-round indoor food/artisan market? Like a Granville or Jean Talon for Ottawa. VERY exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you should a post on your italian food adventure. I wanna hear all about the pizza!!

    ReplyDelete